History

Albany, Georgia 1885

 

 

 

Organization 1849

First Presbyterian was organized on February 26, 1849, with nine charter members. In early 1850, the first house of worship was completed at a cost of $600. A bell was given for use that is still being used each Sunday!In 1859 the congregation raised $1,200 to improve and enlarge the church building. By 1860 we had our first full time pastor and a membership of 24. During the rest of the 19th century First Pres had several pastors and steadily grew in membership to 68.

As the church continued to grow and work in the area, it became imperative that a new sanctuary be built.

 

FPO

The Early
20th Century
Throughout the early part of the 20th century the church continued to grow, getting to 961 members by 1949, and breaking 1000 members in 1951. Seeing the need for other Presbyterian Churches in the area, members from First organized several churches. In 1955 after a tense discussion the congregation split with much of the membership forming Covenant Presbyterian Church.

First Presbyterian Sign

The Last Fifty Years

Over the last 50 years downtown Albany lost prominence as businesses moved to the outskirts of town. Membership steadily declined until 2007, when First Pres hit 50 members. Calling a new pastor and together believing that God was not done with us, 2008 showed remarkable growth (membership doubled and attendance grew by 600%)! The 90-year-old sanctuary has been renovated and repaired. People on the streets talk about this church praying to become God's hope and joy. We may be an old church, but God is doing a new thing! Come be a part of the next chapter of First Presbyterian Church's remarkable history.

First Presbyterian Church | 220 North Jackson Street | Albany, Georgia 31701 | 229.432.6706 | V1.0
Credits | Email us